Wednesday 18 July 2012

UNCLE SCROOGE

Before we finally leave the wacky world of Walt Disney’s “Donald and Mickey” comic for the last (?) time, I just wanted to share with you this comic strip story from issue number 05, dated April 15th 1972, which was then merely the 60th anniversary of the date when the RMS “Titanic” finally sank…

It’s a short four-page story about the lives of the “Super Rich” and some of the rather “unique” issues that they have, not least in the tricky matter of where the money actually ends up when they are spending it, and it has rather stuck with me for these past forty years, and I still can remember that particular story making quite an impression upon me at the time for some unknown reason.

Maybe it was the excuses given for changing the car on the third and fourth pages…?

Somehow that sort of decadence seemed over-indulgent to me even when I was less than a decade old, but then I remember very clearly being aware of how stretched we were financially even then.

I don’t know quite what the political leanings of the writers of Walt Disney’s “Donald and Mickey” comic were, or what message it was that they were trying to get across, but I think it must have embedded itself somewhere deep in my youthful psyche when I think about how I have felt about the banks and the great big “money-go-round” down the years…






No comments:

Post a Comment